- Internet Explorer has been replaced with Mozilla
- The Bat has been replaced with Mozilla Mail and DynamicObjects Spaces.
- JPadPro and UltraEdit have been replaced with Graphical Vim (gvim) and CodeGuide (this software rocks).
- MSN Messenger has been replaced with Al's Messenger (MSN Messenger compliant -- Al should get a medal).
- WinAMP has been replaced with XMMS (works identically).
- Photoshop has been replaced by The Gimp (not a lot of usage with the Gimp yet.. so we'll see).
Linux is my friend
Google Engineers are given a Linux box to work on when they start. Excellent I thought... I'm familiar with Linux, and would love to migrate away from Windows. After about 4 days I requested a Windows box as well... because I work on code that runs in browsers it is invaluable to have a Windows box handy to test out what the majority of the world sees your code like. Also.. after 4 days of struggling with new mail programs... new editors... new shortcuts.. new toolbars... new image software etc etc etc.. I was ready to concede defeat. Luckily it has taken a little while for my Windows box to show up. While waiting I've made the best of it and have now found versions of Software that run under Linux that satisfy all of my Win32 application cravings.